Friday, July 14, 2006

Airports...

I'm at the Zürich airport waiting for my flight to Montreal which leaves in just under three hours. I've been here all night and am exhausted and irritated beyond belief. Wishing I had managed to get a better connecting flight, wishing that a certain special someone was with me...
Well, other than that, I actually love airports. I always have, ever since I was a kid. When we'd go to visit my grandparents and relatives in Slovenia(then Yugoslavia), there weren't any direct flights (still aren't except charter), so many hours of my childhood summers were spent airports in London, Paris, Zürich, Frankfurt. I love watching the screens and seeing where all those planes were coming from and going to. So many people who looked so different than what I was used to. All these cultures, personalities, languages in one place, a half-way point for some... I was fascinitated with airports back then.
Well, as dear as they were to me, yesterday was my birthday and I seriously could think of much better places than I could have spent the night than sleeping in the waiting area. Airports feel different at the age of 33 than at the age of 3. People no longer seem foreign, no matter where they are from. Instead of visiting Slovenia from Canada, it's the other way around.
It has been four years since I visited the city I grew up in. This should prove to be an interesting summer.....

No comments: